Rules of Conduct for Parents and Guardians of Youth Hockey Participants
West Hill Minor Hockey Association
It is the intention of the West Hill Minor Hockey Association to
promote fair play and respect for all participants within the
West Hill Minor Hockey Association Youth Hockey Program. It is
expected that all parents and guardians of West Hill Minor
Hockey Association participants read and understand the Parentís
Code of Conduct and continue to observe and follow all the
principles contained within the Code throughout the year.
I will not force my child to participate in hockey. I
will do the very best to make youth sports FUN for my child.
- I will attempt to learn about the game of hockey (Hockey
Canada rules, equipment, levels, skills, etc.) so that I
may best support my childís development in the game.
- I will emphasize skill development and a serious approach
to practices and explain how skill development will
benefit my child.
- I understand the benefits from participating in a team
sport, the commitment, the discipline, and the social
skills learned and acquired.
- I will teach my child that doing oneís best is as
important as winning so that my child will never feel
by the outcome of the game. I will make my child feel like a
winner every time by offering praise for
competing fairly and hard.
- I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to
resolve conflict without resorting to vulgar language,
- I will remember that children learn by example. I will
applaud good plays by both my childís team and their
opponents. I will not be critical of, or embarrass any
player, including opposition players.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child for making a
mistake or losing a game.
- I will never yell, taunt, threaten or inflict physical
violence upon any player, coach, official or spectator at
hockey activity. I will refrain from the use of abusive or
vulgar language, racial, ethnic or gender-
related slurs at any time at the rink or any youth hockey
function. I will support all efforts to remove verbal
and physical abuse from youth hockey games.
- I will refrain from throwing objects of any kind on the
ice, and from pounding on the glass.
- I will insist that my child plays in a safe and healthy
environment. I will support a sports environment that is
alcohol, drugs or tobacco and I will refrain from their use
at all youth sports events.
- I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteers
who give their time to hockey for my child.
- I will leave the coaching to the coaching staff. I will
encourage my child to play in a manner consistent with the
teamís strategy or plans.
- I will never question the officialís judgment or honesty
in public. I recognize that officials are being developed in
same manner as players.
- I will communicate all and any concerns regarding
inappropriate behavior to the Team Manager, Coach and/or West Hill
Minor Hockey Association representative.
- I will abide by the decisions of the West Hill Minor
Hockey Association Grievance
- I will remember that my child plays hockey for his or
her enjoyment, not mine.